October 1, 2009

"Home" - Chapter II

II.



“What were you doing out there?” Adam asked as I came in the door.

“I saw a dog out there that looked like he was caught in the fence. Apparently not, though, because he went back to that house just as I was getting close.”

I didn’t mention the dog’s eyes; I figured it had been a trick of the light.

“Did you see the guy talking to me?”

“No, but I thought I heard you talking to someone. Who was it?”

“I think he lives in that house back there. He made some comment about his dogs being loud because they fight.”

I gave Adam a disgusted look.

“He’s pretty gross.”

“Hm. Your sandwich is on the counter. I am going to get back to unloading.” Adam said.

“Ok, I’ll be out in a second.”

As I stood in the kitchen eating my sandwich, my eyes wandered through the back window to examine the house behind us again. It was pretty run down, from what I could see of it. Most of the house was blocked by trees on both sides of the fence, but the balcony that the man had been standing on was visible from our kitchen window. It was slightly bowed with chipped white paint. The rest of the house was light grey with rust and mold stains trailing down from the balcony and the eves, and had mildew around the windows.

I thought about whether or not I had noticed it when we were looking at this one to rent. I didn’t remember seeing it, but I wasn’t surprised since I was focused on the one we were going to live in.
-----------------------------------------

I finished my sandwich and threw away the paper towel that it had been sitting on. I was walking toward the front door when I heard Adam talking to someone.

I couldn’t make out what they were saying, but I could tell by his tone that Adam was a little annoyed.

“No, that’s fine – we’re fine… thanks though” I heard him say.

“Well, just wanted to come by and see if you all needed any help.”

I walked out the front door and saw that he was talking to the guy from the balcony. He had changed into what should have been a white T-Shirt that said “F.B.I – Free Boobie Inspection” across the front.

“Lovely.” I thought.

I walked up to the pair of them just as Adam was saying

“Ok, thanks, but we’ve got it, really.”

“Ok, then.” The man said as he turned and looked at me. “Hello again.”

“Hi.” I replied, as I suppressed a shudder and proceeded toward the moving van.

Adam followed me, and left the man standing on the sidewalk.

As we continued to unload the remaining furniture from the back of the moving van, the man lingered on the sidewalk, leaning against a utility pole and remarking whenever a heavier piece of furniture came out of the back that he was more than willing to assist. We continued to smile half-heartedly at him and tell him we had it covered.

As we lifted the last piece of furniture, the wooden coffee table, I saw the man move closer to the truck. We moved toward the opening, and just as I was getting ready to step on the ramp, my foot slipped and I fell to one knee, dropping my end of the coffee table.

The man sprung up and grabbed the side of the table.

“I’ve got it.” He said.

Adam looked at me, slightly worried, but continued to move down the ramp and into the house with the coffee table.
-----------------------------------------

I got up and limped after them into the house.

As I crossed the porch towards the entryway, I heard a small scuffle.

“It’s alright man, I’ve got it now… thanks… really.” I heard Adam say.

I walked into the living room to see what was going on.

The man was in our living room, pushing our coffee table toward one of the walls, off the area rug on which I could tell it had been initially placed.

I was confused.

“What’s up?” I asked Adam, concern making my voice tight.

“Oh… I was just telling Eli here that we're good to go.”

Turning back to Eli “Ok, man, that’s all we need, thanks…”

Eli continued to push the coffee table from its place. He didn’t say anything. Didn’t look up at my entrance or the conversation with Adam.

Adam moved to stand on one side of the table to halt its movement.

“Just trying to help” Eli said, and looked up to stare at Adam. “You all certainly have a lot of nice things.”

Grinning, he put his hand out.

“Look, I don’t have any cash. I appreciate your helping me move the coffee table into the house, but we’ve got it now, so if you wouldn’t mind?” Adam gestured toward the front door.

Eli looked at Adam and crossed his arms, planted his feet, and then looked to me, still grinning.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed 9-1-1. “I’m calling the police” I said.

“&@#$% you then, you little $#&*@." He said, and walked out the door.

The dispatcher answered my call, and I told her that there had been a situation, but that the man had left. She asked if we wanted to talk to the police anyway.

I told her no.

No comments:

Post a Comment