August 9, 2011

"Home" - Chapter XIII

XIII.



I was starting to get a sense the dog’s intent.

I was making phone calls, using the data that was being gathered. Making accusations toward the person we were hunting. Doing things to make the person’s life difficult.


I called the authorities on the person, making accusations of criminal activity. I stole bills and other paperwork to create financial problems. I messed with lines running to the house. All of these things done for the amusement of the dog.
----------------------------------------


This activity went on for a couple of weeks.


The dog was keeping me heavily mentally encumbered. Although I was grasping for clues underneath everything, I knew it was futile. The dog wasn’t letting me near people. Only out of Eli’s house long enough to do the small tasks required for his pleasure in tormenting me and the other person he had chosen to hurt.


The dog would allow me to steal food from the person’s house, and other than that I was eating the rotting food that had been in the basement for who knows how long. It was making me sick, but many days there was nothing else. I didn’t think I was going to make it much longer with as little as I was able to eat and then as little as I was able to keep down.
----------------------------------------


The dog and I were getting back to Eli’s house early one morning, after rummaging through the person’s trash. I didn’t find anything important, and I had almost been caught by someone near the house. I could feel the anger emanating from the dog.


For the most part, other than neglecting my need for food and being clean and sanitary, the dog had not treated me viscously. I was worried that that might change after today. I was getting weak, and now I had disappointed him. I felt as though maybe he was done with me.


I automatically reached down to open the entrance to the basement.


A shot rang out. Then another shot. Then another.


The dog turned away from the basement and looked toward my house.


He started running toward the sound of the shots.


Another shot rang out.


The dog tripped over his front paws and tumbled into a heap.


The fog that had been overpowering my mind lifted.


I looked up to see Adam standing at a break in the fence, holding a handgun. He looked terrible, with huge bags under his bloodshot eyes.


I ran over to him and threw myself into his arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment