July 19, 2011

"Home" - Chapter IV

IV.


Adam’s schedule became more and more hectic. I tried to put on a positive front for Adam and Micah, but I felt like I was slowly losing my mind. Micah and I came straight home every day from work and daycare, and at this point I didn’t even feel safe to leave on the weekends, unless Adam was home.

The motion sensing lights were on constantly.  I checked the nanny cam every day, but never came across anything out of the ordinary on the recordings.  After a few weeks, I disabled the motion-sensing lights and turned the nanny cam off.
--------------------------------------------

Around the end of January, Adam’s schedule changed so that he was to be home for a few consecutive weeks to work on further developing the software they were trying to promote.

We decided to take a weekend vacation to Great Wolf Lodge to try and relax and put some of the strain of the last few months behind us. We left on a Friday morning and stayed through that Sunday night.

Micah played in the pools and on the water slides for hours each day, and Adam and I had a chance to re-connect and talk.
--------------------------------------------

That Sunday night, as we returned regretfully to the house, I checked the mail as we walked up to the front door. There was no mail, which I didn’t think too deeply into, since not having mail was a fairly frequent occurrence.
--------------------------------------------

After another few days, I started to notice that we weren’t getting any mail, except that following Saturday when we were home all day and caught the mailman as he was coming up to the porch.

The first week, I shrugged it off, thinking that since we did most of our bills and correspondence online, it wasn’t that odd to go a few days without mail. But, then after a couple of weeks having gone by and only receiving mail that one time, and thinking that, at the very least, we should be receiving some of our normal monthly bills, I started to get worried.

One day, I decided to leave work early to stop by the post office to find out if there was a reason why we hadn’t been receiving our mail.

After waiting in line for forty-five minutes, and becoming increasingly anxious about picking Micah up at daycare, I finally made it to the front of the line.

“Hi, can I help you?”

“Hi… I wanted to find out, that is, we don’t seem to be receiving our mail. We’ve not had anything in our mail box now for almost 3 weeks.”

“Last name?”

“Colby.”

“Address?”

“1412 Prince George Street.”

“Ok… let’s see.”

She paused, reading the information on the computer screen.

“There’s been a hold placed on the mail for that name and address.”

“A hold…?” I asked, confused. “Why is there a hold?”

“The hold was placed by Adam Colby.”

“That’s my husband, but he didn’t put a hold on the mail. Can you remove the hold? Do you have any mail here for me?”

“No, it’s is a fraud hold, we can’t remove it here. You have to contact our central office in D.C. and fill out some paperwork. We also don’t have your mail here; it’s been forwarded to a new address, based on the fraud report.”

“What address!?”

“I can’t give you that information, ma’am. You need to contact the central office. Here is their number.”

She quickly wrote the information down and handed me the sheet of paper.

As I slowly walked out of the post office, I saw her watching me while she dialed the phone and started speaking into the receiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment